Gum Disease is also called as a periodontal disease; it is a condition where the gum line is inflamed and infected. If left untreated, the bacteria may cause oral problems in gums, bone, connective tissues and other parts of the body. At Langston Amador Dental Group, we offer Periodontal Treatment to the communities of Pompano Beach, Lighthouse Point, Kendall Green, Pompano Beach Highlands and surrounding areas.
What causes gum disease?
- Hormonal Changes. The gums become sensitive when hormonal changes occur during puberty, pregnancy, menstruation, and menopause. It makes the gums more prone to gingivitis.
- Illnesses. Diseases like cancer or HIV affect the immune system; diabetes also affects the body’s blood sugar. Patients with these diseases are prone to develop infections such as periodontal disease and cavities.
- Medications. The saliva has a protective effect on the mouth. It washes away bacteria from the mouth. Some medicines decrease the saliva production which increases the risk of bacteria and infection in the gums.
- Bad Habits. Smoking contains chemicals that affect the gum tissues.
- Improper Oral Care. Gingivitis could easily develop if the patients have poor brushing and flossing habits.
What are the symptoms?
- Bleeding of gums during or after brushing
- Swollen, red and tender gums
- Chronic bad breath
- Bad taste in the mouth
- Receding Gums
- Deep pockets between the gums and teeth
- Shifting or loose teeth
- Change of bite
Scaling and Root Planing
Scaling and root planing is a treatment for the early stage of gum disease. It is a non-surgical treatment that only requires a thorough dental cleaning. The procedure involves cleaning of the area beneath the gum line around the tooth and smoothening of root surfaces to prevent future problems.
Gingivectomy or pocket reduction is a treatment for severe periodontitis. The procedure includes folding back of infected gum tissues and removing of bacteria. With the help of this treatment, the gums can heal.
Dental Crown Lengthening
The procedure is done to reshape the excess gum and bone tissue. After the reshaping, more of the natural tooth will be exposed, and the gum line will be even.
After teeth extraction, the bone left may be a thin structure. When an implant is to be placed, the bone (between the maxillary sinus and the mouth) will be augmented with sinus lift.
The procedure is done after tooth extraction to minimize bone loss and preserve the tooth socket in the alveolar bone.
The procedure is done by placing a bone graft in a tooth socket that has a thin facial plate.
If you experience early signs of periodontal disease, like your sudden bleeding of gums, bad breath, loss teeth or separate teeth, schedule an appointment with Langston Amador Dental Group for Periodontal Treatment in Pompano Beach. We are located at 2000 North Federal Highway #300, Pompano Beach, FL 33062.